*PLEASE NOTE, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY: DUE TO STRINGENT OUT OF STATE HEALTH CERTIFICATE REQUIREMENTS WE ARE NOW ONLY ADOPTING TO RHODE ISLAND RESIDENTS*. We apologize for the inconvenience.
HOW TO GO ABOUT ADOPTING: Fill out an application and come by during open adoption hours.
1. Print an application from this link: http://heartofri.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/egapl-dog.APPLICATION1-24-20.pdf
*PLEASE NOTE: new price increases have not been updated on website applications and the new prices are listed below.*
(It is listed on our website heartofri.org)
2. Fill out the application completely – we are unable to process applications that have not been fully filled out.
3. Please bring the application filled out in it’s entirety with you to open adoption hours.
*DO NOT email your application. We are now open and are only taking applications at that time.
Open adoption hours
44 Worthington Road Cranston RI
*We do not do same day adoptions.
*Please bring the entire family in to meet the animal you are interested in.
*We will setup a meet and greet with your dog at a later date. PLEASE do not bring your dog with you when you come in to apply.
*Bring proof of homeownership (tax form deed, mortgage statement) or rental agreement with you.
Adoptions are NOT processed on a first-come, first-serve basis. We aim to provide our animals with the best possible match. Please allow time for our Adoption Team to review your completed application and the understanding that we receive an extremely high volume of applications and process them as quickly as we can. If approved, we will contact you to schedule an adoption appointment. Please note that we do NOT do same day adoptions.
In order to adopt a dog, puppy, cat, or kitten you must:
1. Come in and complete an application. We have applications on site and you are welcome to print an application at home and bring it in with you completed. *PLEASE NOTE: WE DO NOT ACCEPT E-MAILED APPLICATIONS!*
2. We will need to meet everyone living in your home that will be caring for the adopted animal. We would ideally meet the entire family at one time.
3. You will need to show a copy of the following:
-Proof of home ownership (a mortgage statement, property tax bill, or deed) or proof of landlord permission (rental agreement). If there is not a clause in your lease allowing pets we will need written and signed landlord permission. The landlord permission letter must include: the landlords full name, contact number, their home address, the address of the rental property, the renters full name, written permission that you are allowed to have a dog/cat and that there are not breed or size requirements. This must also be signed by your landlord to be considered complete.
-Veterinary records for current or most recent pet(s), including most recent vaccinations and proof of spaying/neutering.
4. If you have other dogs at home we will need to schedule an appointment for them to come in to be safely introduced to the adoptable dog/puppy. We will ONLY do this after your vet records have been checked and signed off on. WE DO THIS BY APPOINTMENT ONLY AND ASK THAT YOU DO NOT BRING YOUR ANIMALS IN TO THE RESCUE WITHOUT HAVING SOMETHING SCHEDULED. Our team will reach out to you via e-mail or phone call to schedule. We kindly ask that you do not send repeat e-mails to check on status. It unfortunately backs up our system. We appreciate your understanding!
5. Dogs being adopted MUST be wearing a collar and be leashed to leave the building. Please come to pick up your dog with an appropriately sized collar and leash.
6. Cats being adopted MUST be taken home in a secure cat carrier. Cardboard is acceptable.
Thank you for your cooperation in following the above requirements! Our goal is to provide our adopters and animals with a secure environment, successful transition and a loving forever home.
All adoption fees are CASH OR CHECK ONLY. No credit cards, please.
PayPal is accepted but a small processing fee will be applied.
Adult cat (1 year and over): $225
Kittens under one year-old: $325
Dogs (1 year and over): $550
Puppies under one year-old: $650
Our adoption fees are based upon the cost of veterinary care, transportation, boarding.
EGAPL Heart of RI provides the following for all animals in our care:
1. Veterinary examination.
2. Cats and kittens are tested for Feline Leukemia and FIV.
3. Treatment for ears mites, parasites and other medical conditions if necessary.
4. Initial Distemper vaccinations.
5. All cats and dogs aged at least 6 months old have been spayed or neutered, and those younger will have this service paid for by EGAPL Heart of RI at the appropriate age (included in the adoption fee).
For more information about the adoption process please contact EGAPL Heart of RI 401-467-3670.