COVID-19 UPDATES AND POLICY CHANGES:
Business operations have changed due to ongoing precautionary measures.
1. WE ARE CURRENTLY CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC AND WILL BE OPEN BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.
2. IF YOU HAVE A PRESCHEDULED APPOINTMENT: Please arrive with your own gloves, mask, and writing instrument. Please plan to bring your entire family so that follow up appointments are not necessary to meet missing family members. Please remain in your car upon arrival and a team member will be out to assist you.
Please contact our Adoption Coordinator at HeartofRIAdoption@gmail.com for an application and to start the adoption process.
Thank you for your understanding of all matters.
Adoptions are NOT processed on a first-come, first-serve basis. We aim to provide our animals with the best possible match. Please allow time for our Adoption Board to review your completed application and the understanding that we receive an extremely high volume of applications and process them as quickly as we can. If approved, we will contact you to schedule an adoption appointment. Please note that we do not do same day adoptions.
In order to adopt a dog, puppy, cat, or kitten you must:
1. Complete an application.
2. We will need to meet everyone living at the home that will be caring for the adopted animal. We would ideally meet the entire family at one time.
3. You will need to show a copy of the following:
- Proof of home ownership (a mortgage or property tax bill) or proof of landlord permission (rental agreement).
- Veterinary records for current or most recent pet(s), including most recent vaccinations and proof of spaying/neutering.
4. If you have other canines at home we will need to schedule an appointment for them to come in to be safely introduced to the adoptable dog/puppy. We will only do this after your vet records have been checked. WE DO THIS BY APPOINTMENT ONLY AND ASK THAT YOU DO NOT BRING YOUR ANIMALS IN TO THE RESCUE WITHOUT HAVING SOMETHING SCHEDULED.
5. Dogs being adopted MUST be wearing a collar and be leashed. Please come to pick up your dog with an appropriately sized collar and leash.
6. Cats being adopted MUST be taken home in a secure cat carrier. Nothing cardboard is acceptable. Please come to pick up your cat with this carrier.
Thank you for your cooperation in following the above requirements! Our goal is to provide our adopters and animals with a secure environment, successful transition and a loving forever home.
All adoption fees are CASH ONLY. No credit cards, please.
PayPal is accepted but a small processing fee will be applied.
Adult cat (1 year and over): $180
Kittens under one year-old: $200
Dogs (1 year and over): $500*
Puppies under one year-old: $600
*Please note: there will be a $50 health certificate fee if you are adopting from out of Rhode Island per state law.*
Our adoption fees are based upon the cost of veterinary care, transportation, boarding.
EGAPL Heart of RI provides the following for all animals in our care:
1. Veterinary examination.
2. Cats and kittens are tested for Feline Leukemia and FIV.
3. Treatment for ears mites, parasites and other medical conditions if necessary.
4. Initial Distemper vaccinations.
5. All cats and dogs aged at least 6 months old have been spayed or neutered, and those younger will have this service paid for by EGAPL at the appropriate age (included in the adoption fee).
For more information about the adoption process please contact EGAPL at 401-467-3670.